The Fuji Norcom Straight…
“Strava. Drop that six-letter word around a group of cyclists and you’ll provoke a response akin to when crazy Uncle Bill would awkwardly arrive, uninvited, at a family event. No one, at least where I do my riding, wants to acknowledge the presence of the elephant in the room, much less embrace it, openly say they are a fan or – dare it be suggested – name a bike after it. Yet Strava is precisely where the inspiration for the name ‘Norcom Straight’ is from. There is a three minute YouTube clip about it, shot at their development headquarters in Philadelphia. You even get to see Norcom Road. It must have been one of those you-should-have-been-there scenarios. As naff as it somewhat comes across, I’m happy – in this case – to allow the ends to justify the means.”
– Read all of Nick Squillari’s appraisal in RIDE Cycling Review #62.
RIDE Image Gallery…
Click the image below to view more images of the Fuji.
Each issue of RIDE Cycling Review features six bike tests and each product is put through a series of protocols that have evolved over the years. We now subject the review bikes to…
• A ‘Build Report’ written by a mechanic after his fully disassembles the bike (and weighs each component) to get a closer look inside the frame and then see how it all comes back together.
• ‘Flex test jig‘ – which measures frame deflection when a 40kg weight is applied to the right crank.
• ‘Wheel test’ – when we measure flex of a rim.
• Weight list of every component… the actual weight, not just what the manufacturers want to promote.
• Full specification listing…
The review itself relates to the ride quality and characteristics of each bike as observed by someone who gets to use it for several weeks (or, at times, months). The captioning is done by our in-house mechanic, Greg Chalberg, who also takes the photos.
Round Table Observations
Since RIDE #54, we have also published a two-page spread dubbed ‘Round Table Observations’. The concept is to get everyone in the office to ride all six review bikes one after the other and offer a brief appraisal of what they feel the highlight or lowlights are. Here are the unedited voice files from each tester’s first impression of the Fuji Norcom Straight:
Dan Bonello: Fuji_Dan
Greg Chalberg: Fuji_Greg
Shane Lovejoy: Fuji_Shane
* * * * *
There are now 17 issues of RIDE available in a digital format via Zinio, with reviews of 101 bikes.
RIDE Media publishes RIDE Cycling Review, a quarterly magazine all about cycling.