The Scott Addict SL…
“In truth, the Addict from 2008 looks nothing like the 2014 version. There’s now a seatpost, a clamp, a different shape for both frame and fork, and the cables are all internal (unlike mine). But the riding characteristics remain. For me, there are no distractions but I’m not fending off speed merchants in a bunch sprint like Matthews does. The post has some give. I notice it but “bounce” would be stretching the truth.”
– Read all of Rob Arnold’s appraisal in RIDE Cycling Review #63.
RIDE Image Gallery…
Click the image below to view more images of the Scott Addict SL.
Each issue of RIDE Cycling Review features six bike tests and each product is put through a series of protocols that have evolved over the years. We now subject the review bikes to…
• A ‘Build Report’ written by a mechanic after his fully disassembles the bike (and weighs each component) to get a closer look inside the frame and then see how it all comes back together.
• ‘Flex test jig‘ – which measures frame deflection when a 40kg weight is applied to the right crank.
• ‘Wheel test’ – when we measure flex of a rim.
• Weight list of every component… the actual weight, not just what the manufacturers want to promote.
• Full specification listing…
The review itself relates to the ride quality and characteristics of each bike as observed by someone who gets to use it for several weeks (or, at times, months). The captioning is done by our in-house mechanic, Greg Chalberg, who also takes the photos.
Round Table Observations
Since RIDE #54, we have also published a two-page spread dubbed ‘Round Table Observations’. The concept is to get everyone in the office to ride all six review bikes one after the other and offer a brief appraisal of what they feel the highlight or lowlights are. Here are the unedited voice files from each tester’s first impression of the Scott Addict SL:
* * * * *
There are now 18 issues of RIDE available in a digital format via Zinio, with reviews of 106 bikes.
RIDE Media publishes RIDE Cycling Review, a quarterly magazine all about cycling.