Ladies and Gentlemen – step right up, there are bikes to be seen and history on display! Randwick Cycling Club is hosting a ‘Retro Day’ at Heffron Park in Sydney this Saturday.Want to mingle with a few cyclists and talk about bikes? Care to get a little nostalgic and reminisce about how things were ‘back in the day’? Wish you could just ogle a nice old steel frame and say, ‘Nice lug work mate…’?
Well, all these things are going to be possible if you are in Sydney on Saturday 14 November 2020. Drop on down to Sydney’s favourite goat track (aka. ‘Heffron Park’) and you’ll find a bunch of people who like retro cycling stuff.There’ll be frame builders and collectors and all manner of interesting stuff on display. There’ll be conversation and maybe even a little education about the ways of cycling… yep, from back in the day.
There’ll probably be a sausage sizzle and some craft beer, maybe you’ll see a moustache or some woollen knicks or a chamois made of goat skin instead of synthetic, 2020 stuff that is actually comfortable…
Even if these things from ‘back in the day’ have been greatly improved for modern cyclists, it doesn’t mean you can’t be a little nostalgic about how cycling was only a short while ago.
If you know about retro bikes and stuff, you’ll love what’s on display. If you don’t know about that kind of thing, then go along, have a poke around and learn a little.
Heffron Park, Maroubra NSW (entrance via the Des Renford Aquatic Centre carpark)
From 10.00am, 14 November 2020
- Event opens with the ‘Swap Meet’ and racking of bikes for the ‘Show and Shine’ Competition. (Note: ‘Show and Shine’ bikes are to be entered on the day (see our other post regarding categories. No entry fee is required.)
- Heffron Park Junior Academy skills and racing.
- Division 5, 4 & 3 races to commence (entries will open on Buncheur the week prior as per the usual Randwick Cycling Club system).
- Retro Races in three categories – competitive, semi-competitive and social. (Free entry on the day. There will be a prize for best dressed. Bikes are to be steel with no carbon wheels and no electronic groupsets – unless it is Mavic Zap!)
- Snow Wilson Memorial Classic. This will be a handicap race for our regular Division 1 & 2 riders and will have great prize money on the line.
- There will be food trucks, craft beer and refreshments available, so come on down with your family and friends to celebrate all things cycling!